Ancillary Justice - Imperial Radch #1



“It seems very straightforward when I say “I.” At the time, “I” meant Justice of Toren, the whole ship and all its ancillaries. A unit might be very focused on what it was doing at that particular moment, but it was no more apart from “me” than my hand is while it’s engaged in a task that doesn’t require my full attention. Nearly twenty years later “I” would be a single body, a single brain. That division, I–Justice of Toren and I–One Esk, was not, I have come to think, a sudden split, not an instant before which “I” was one and after which “I” was “we.” It was something that had always been possible, always potential. Guarded against. But how did it go from potential to real, incontrovertible, irrevocable? On one level the answer is simple—it happened when all of Justice of Toren but me was destroyed. But when I look closer I seem to see cracks everywhere. Did the singing contribute, the thing that made One Esk different from all other units on the ship, indeed in the fleets? Perhaps. Or is anyone’s identity a matter of fragments held together by convenient or useful narrative, that in ordinary circumstances never reveals itself as a fiction? Or is it really a fiction? I don’t know the answer. But I do know that, though I can see hints of the potential split going back a thousand years or more, that’s only hindsight. The first I noticed even the bare possibility that I–Justice of Toren might not also be I–One Esk, was that moment that Justice of Toren edited One Esk’s memory of the slaughter in the temple of Ikkt. The moment I—“I”—was surprised by it.” 

Primul review scris în romana, este un experiment și cumva mi-e mai greu sa scriu decât în engleza.

Prima nuvela scrisa de scriitoarea americana Ann Leckie, Ancillary Justice este prima din universul Imperial Radch, un univers original și bine închegat. Stilul de scris este matur și impresionează prin proza clara. Breq, protagonistul cărții un AI care poate controla simultan mii de corpuri și este aproape de omniscienta în anumite feluri, încearcă sa se răzbune pe conducătorul civilizației Radch. Romanul poate fi încadrat ca Space Opera, deși are aspecte de Noir mai ales în ceea ce îl privește pe Breq. De asemenea are puține batalii spatiale, este mai mult o opera spatiala prin prezentarea imperiului Radch.

Este una din puținele cărți care prezintă un AI cu mai multe corpuri și perspectiva este unică. Deși controlate, corpurile au proprii favoriți și deși pare absolut controlul are limitele lui. Un personaj cu corpuri multiple este greu de scris, dar are și avantaje cum ar fi posibilitatea de a nara folosind persoana întâia și de a avea întotdeauna un martor la evenimente.

Este o carte de citit, poate nu la fel de clara ca ceva scris de Ian M Banks, dar este de reținut pentru originalitate și personajele feminine puternice.
Cartea nu a fost publicata în limba romana, poate fi citita doar în engleza.

Puncte pozitive:
  • Personaje feminine credibile
  • Univers complex și original
  • Personajul principal - un AI care controlează simultan mai multe corpuri
Puncte negative:
  • Începutul confuz
  • Unele din deciziile personajelor nu sunt foarte clare(Seivarden, Breq)
  • Sfârșitul putea sa fie mai bun 
Nota: 6.5 din 10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

John Dies at the End review

Temporal Void review

Starship troopers - "Would you like to know more?"