Warbreaker review


By the way, that’s a shitty cover. I mean the book deserves better, this makes it look like a soap opera. I mean look at that shitty sword, no way the badass sword(Nightblood) you'll read about looks like that polished piece of crap in the cover.
A fantasy book written by Brandon Sanderson “Warbreaker” it is the first of a series. Well kind of, there is no sequel yet but the author has repeatedly mentioned that he wants to write one.

“It was strange, how easily and quickly protection could cause destruction. Sometimes, Vasher wondered if the two weren't really the same thing. Protect a flower, destroy pests who wanted to feed on it. Protect a building, destroy the plants that could have grown in the soil. Protect a man. Live with the destruction he creates.”
― Brandon Sanderson, Warbreaker

I read the ebook version and the author had an incredibly original idea. He added at the end of each chapter an explanation of what he was trying to achieve and of how he views the characters. Basically he explains how he writes and how he view the world. I have not seen this done before by anyone! It had an unwanted side effect in that I felt a bit disconnected from the book. You are a god along with the writer and you have a bird’s eye view of the action. I did not read the spoilers though as I think that is too much and it would have made it harder for me to finish reading it. The interesting part is that once he creates the characters they must act believably, they cannot change in character or actions so much that it is no longer believable.

I think this author’s strong selling point are his ideas! The magic system based on color is fascinating and definitely refreshing, considering the other books I’ve read where you are either born with magic or you summon it. Not to say there’s anything wrong with those systems, they just seem a bit lazy after I’ve read this book. Awakening objects and the religious system are also very well thought out. I will no go into details as I don’t like to rob the reader of finding out on his own.
The book also feels like it is establishing a Universe so I definitely expect to see a second book. From the author himself:
"This is still on the back burner, but it is coming. Probably after the Elantris sequels. I’ll squeeze it in someplace. I’m very excited about it, but now (while I’m juggling multiple teen series) is not the time."

There’s also a feeling, (ok maybe it’s pretty clear!) that every bad guy thinks he’s a good guy. I definitely agree, I hate unidimensional bad guys or ones that have shit motivations.

“What I'm trying to say is that you don't understand a man until you understand what makes him do what he does. Every man is a hero in his own story, Princess. Murderers don't believe that they're to blame for what they do. Thieves, they think they deserve the money they take. Dictators, they believe they have the right—for the safety of their people and the good of the nation—to do whatever they wish. . . . The truth is, most people who do what you'd call "wrong" do it for what they call "right" reasons. Only mercenaries make any sense. We do what we're paid to do. That's it. Perhaps that's why people look down on us so. We're the only ones who don't pretend to have higher motives. . . In a way, we're the most honest men you'll ever meet.”
― Brandon Sanderson, Warbreaker

The most interesting character in the book is actually a sword. Again, a very original take on the magical sword artefact. It is one badass talking sword! It is both sinister and innocent at the same time a very interesting combination.
The more I think about it the more I think intellectually that this book has a lot going for it. Well written, original, interesting characters. The dialogue is actually funny most of the time. There are a few jokes that feel a bit forced but not much.

“The door slammed open. Vivenna jumped, putting a hand to her chest.

Vasher walked in. 'Start reaching for that sword when you're startled,' he said. 'There's little reason to grab your shirt, unless you're planning to rip it off.”
― Brandon Sanderson, Warbreaker

Still I can’t put my finger on it, but it did not pull me into it. It is not immersive as I felt detached and mostly did not care about the characters. I think it’s because of the explanations at the end of each chapter. Still it’s fascinating to see how the author creates a complex world even if he only hints at certain aspects of it.

Pros:
Original
- Interesting characters
- One badass sword!
- Good mixture of intrigue and religion
- Explanations from the author on how he writes. Very cool stuff.
- Funny dialogue
Cons:
- Not as immersive as other books.
- Ending felt a bit rushed and didn’t convince me fully
Grade : 7.6 - if I have to make an effort to read it I can’t give it a higher grade.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

John Dies at the End review

Temporal Void review

Starship troopers - "Would you like to know more?"